Skip to main content

House of a Samurai in Kanazawa

18/07/2010


It was the second day in Kanazawa and was in nagamchi the Samurai town. There are rebuilt samurai houses indicating the old living patterns. Some houses still have old ornaments cutlery,toilets left.I am always surprised of the Japanese  people  who lived in very little spaces.

The inside plan of a foot soldier house.

The view of the inside from the entrance

Cutlery used in the  house

The living room

An old fireplace

In early japan people used to sit around the fireplace wholeday making tea, cooking,eating, chatting and even sleeping. This habit is still left in Japan, now around kotatsu instead of the fireplace. kotatsu is a small table with a heater attached and till recently it had a coal heater attached.

The extra sleeping room upstairs and the ladder used to get in.

The ancient closets more like `pettagam in` sinhala

The backside of the house

The bathtub

Old toilets - left hand side is a ladies s toilet.

Enjoy and relive the ancient Japanese Samurais life for free. I really mean it, it is for free.
All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tateyama Alpine Route - Murado Station

19/07/2010 Another dream coming true. I always wanted to go there.I was collecting leaflets, pamphlets about this but never thought of   going due to the high costs. Well, luck was upon me this one time. It was early morning of 5.45 and I was waiting for my sensei s vehicle in front of  Toyama Station. I did know the plans for the day but that we were going to Tateyama. Were we going to Kurobe Dam too, or going to Kurobe Dam?Were we going to take the Alpen Route or go straight to Kurobe? Surprises were waiting. We reached Tateyama Station and I knew it is my dream coming true. Weather and information of the day  It was around 14degrees at the top of the mountain while it was nearly 36degrees at the foot. We were simply above the clouds and the temperature difference was too much to bear. It was cold in the summer. Early in the morning when we passed the Murodo staion on our way to Kurobe dam it was clear all around. in the aftern...

Ainokura of Gokayama,Toyama

Gokayama means five hills. These special five hills are named as UNESCO world heritage for it s old  village still left unharmed. The ancient kokiri dancing village The beautiful village of Ainokura The entrance to the village The ancient roof This roof is called "gasshou dsukuri" meaning -the prayers hand architecture-. This roof style is so strong that its compatible for the extremely heavy snow fall in this area in winter. From here onwards are some of the houses still left to date. This houses are still strong and man made. Even in the scorching sun the temperature inside the house is cool and it is said that it is the same in the winter. It was marvelous to see this little village, where in winter visiting this village is difficult due to several routes are closed due to heavy snow fall in winter. All Rights Reserved.

Onabe - Japanese Hot Pot

15/05/2010 It was after spending the evening at Thai Festival 2010 in Yoyogi,Shibuya. The dinner was decided on "Nabe" at a shibuya chain restaurant of Japanese hot pot. I have always loved nabe. I have had shabu shabu hotpot, sukiyaki hotpot and seafood hotpot at Japanese houses and this was the first time I am having it at a restaurant. So I thought of sharing some moments of the supreme happiness of eating Nabe - the Japanese hotpot. Beef, eggs and the vegetables  The whole table of ingredients for the Nabe in one shot Shabu shabu and sukiyaki on one hotplate finally you dip the boiled slice of meat in the "tare" and eat. This chain restaurant is in Shibuya and limitless "tabehoudai" for less than 2000yen. Good service and loved the meat.   All Rights Reserved.